Saturday, December 31, 2011

What a year!



I guess first off I should apologize for the lack of any updates since September. The house and other things have taken a toll.

Originally I thought to title this "Christmas Blessings," because our family is blessed. It's also been quite a year for us outside of being blessed. I'll start at the beginning and move to the end--with trials and blessings interwoven like they were in our reality.

A little over a year ago Jeff lost his job. We were fortunate that he was almost done with school and that he found a job in a matter of weeks. A couple of months later, he graduated CVTC with his Machine Tool degree and started a new job. I've been told this is the "holy grail" of machine jobs! He loves it and comes home most days having enjoyed what he did. It's neat to hear what he makes--jobs for Milwaukee Tool, NASA, and the DOD!

This spring, we found out that one of my uncles was in poor health and needed his legs and several fingers amputated. Also, he was to have splints put in his heart. He is doing well and now has new legs and hasn't fallen yet. My grandfather however is rapidly deteriorating in his health and consciousness. It's tough to be so far away and have family go through hurts.
One of my aunts was also diagnosed with breast cancer. After a double mastectomy and chemo, she is in remission! She is more beautiful now than ever!

We decided that with the housing market and the price of rent, we needed a house. Our first contracted house fell through and we found our current home! It was a long process to find a loan for a house that was completely unfinished and to round up prices for finishing it. It's taken a lot more money and time than we expected. But it's ours and nearly finished! All for less than renting something with three bedrooms. Also, with all the work we put in, the house is worth 10-20K more than we paid. Talk about a good investment :)

My dad offered for us to come down for a little bit and the kids and I stayed for 3 weeks. Jeff came down for a week and then worked on the house while the kids and I enjoyed Ga. It's tough being away from my family. We've weighed the pros and cons of where to live probably since we moved up. I miss everything I have and had down there. There is nothing like being around family--the people that love you and always have and always will. I know that Jeff and the kids adore me, but there is something about people you have life history with. Life is often lonely and phone calls don't always fill that void. This fall/winter was especially hard on me. After a botched birthday present, I felt myself spiraling. I was being attacked viciously emotionally and eventually physically. I began to wonder whether or not Jeff and the kids would be better off without me--I wanted to just run away from everything. On the other hand, I wanted to pack up everyone and go home! It was a really dark time of feeling unworthy and unloved until we went to GA. After coming back, I picked up the book "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge. I realized how much more God has for me and my family and how wonderful and beautiful He thinks I am. I prayed and still do that He will show me how He sees me. Not how I see myself or others do. I still have a lot of times where nothing but my family really seems to help and I wish I could be in two places at once. I'm working on my faith and relationship with God as well.

Overall, my marriage has been strengthened. When you don't know how you are going to put food on the table or buy clothes for your kids, you have to rely on each other and God--ONE day at a time--and ultimately we have. He's provided for us at just the right time with what we need--strangely enough so has my dad.

This winter we've being making rounds with different sicknesses-bronchitis, mono-like viruses, sinus infections, strep, and ear infections. We just can't seem to get anyone well. As I type, we're all currently on antibiotics. We're getting better--just slowly.

Overall, we've grown closer, I'm blessed with a husband who would do anything for our family--even taking on a second job. Our kids have put on weight this winter and are best buds! They both LOVE to read! Both run to the door and shower Jeff with attention when he gets home. We've had prayers answered. Noah has an avid interest in God and Heaven and all things related. His quest for knowledge although sometimes frustrating is wonderful! Sometimes I learn as much as he does. Emma is loud and vivacious and so entertaining. Noah even is having to be told to talk less and eat more at meal times lol. I love our little family of four!




I pray that whatever lessons that God is teaching or the devil is trying to undo, would be taught. It seems sometimes that so many people have it so much easier--and I realize that there are a lot that have it worse. I pray that 2012 is better for us--less eventful and more basking in God's glory and blessing. I hope the same for all of you!


1 comment:

  1. The kids are so adorable! We miss y'all! Glad that things are going so well with the house and everything else. Maybe you could send some snow or even cold weather to us. Today it is 68 and feels a lot like a spring day. It is absolutely beautiful outside but it sure doesn't seem like winter to me :) Blake is sitting up all by himself now and won't be long before he crawls. He is figuring it out now. He has grown lots and continues growing very fast. Sam and I went and applied for our home yesterday so please be in prayer that everything goes smoothly for us. We hope to be moved out of Memaw's in February depending on how fast the process moves. I called you twice today but figured you were probably busy. Thanks a million for the clothes. We LOVE them and they fit him perfectly. We were in such need for warmer clothes so it was a blessing to get them. I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas and have a very happy new year! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete