Ok so obviously my creativity is lacking a bit today--I think I've been on Facebook too much because the only thing I could think of for titling this was "Status Update".
Recently I read an article on what kids should be able to do by Kindergarten--I usually avoid kid articles because most of them are parents bragging on what their kids can do. Since we haven't put Noah in a preschool program yet, I thought maybe I should be aware of what he needs to have accomplished by this fall. He'll be 4 in June--which means he can go to a preschool program or K-4. Well the main gist of this article was that kids need to be reading by Kindergarten--umm oh boy. So I started thinking what exactly can my kids do? We pretty much have a casual atmosphere here at home and I don't really sit down and teach either of them anything. Boy was I surprised at what I found out--and of course I want to share all of Noah and Emma's accomplishments with you!

First off--if you think you are good at the game of Memory, try squaring off with Noah. We've known he has an amazing memory for a while. He can tell us memories of things when he was 18 months--like going to day care and what he did there.
We checked for his knowledge of colors and letters. Thank you magnetic fridge alphabet--at least my stepping on and picking up letters all the time wasn't in vain because he knows almost all his letters and all of his colors!
Numbers are a little bit harder for him--we count ALOT so I'm not sure what's going on. But he told us the time on the clock this weekend! He really likes 1, 2, 5, and 8. Go figure.
Name recognition was on the list to check--so I wrote out a list of names. Mama, Emma, Noah and Daddy. I asked him to tell me which was Noah. He proceeded to tell me Daddy was on the list, then showed me his name. AND told me that the first one was Mama and the next one was Emma---umm yeah time for shell shocked parents. We knew he knew his name--he spells in on the fridge all the time, but to know the others AWESOME!

We're joining in at the reading program at the library this winter and spring and he loves going to church, so I think we're good on social interaction. It's adults he clams up around, not kids. He can make friends with anyone!

He loves helping Jeff out with "man things." He knows every tool and can operate them all. He even has his own little set with interchangeable battery packs. He used his plastic saw to cut a branch off our tree this year--he was told he couldn't cut anything for real with his new tools. But his ability to use a drill for screws and hammer for nails means excellent hand eye coordination :)
Can you tell we're just a wee bit proud?
Now for our 1 year old ham. oh our Emma Claire. She is a bundle of energy and joy and personalities. You never know what she's going to be up to. She's finally putting weight on and up on the charts again! Actually both our kids are eating and eating and eating.
Emma knows all her animals and her body parts. She knew all her animal sounds but currently our cows, sheep, goat, horse and donkey all say baa.

She's funny and loves to do anything to get a laugh. She'll come up and "tck tck tck" you or cock her head sideways and smile, or fall over for the fun of it. Noah will start laughing at things that we don't want her doing and it's hard to scold her or him.

She signs all done and more and says Mama, Dada, Noah, Nana, hi, bye-bye and every now and then other things that sound like what she's pointing at. Nothing consistently that I can remember.

The first thing she does when she wakes up is look for Noah and yell for him even if he's asleep.
She's trying to use a fork and spoon and loves drinking from a regular cup although if we don't help her, it's time for a change of clothes. She's such a fun little thing and so full of energy. We're awfully proud of her too!

Currently Noah refuses to let me take pictures of him, so we have a surplus of EC pics. I'll try harder to catch him!
Recently I read an article on what kids should be able to do by Kindergarten--I usually avoid kid articles because most of them are parents bragging on what their kids can do. Since we haven't put Noah in a preschool program yet, I thought maybe I should be aware of what he needs to have accomplished by this fall. He'll be 4 in June--which means he can go to a preschool program or K-4. Well the main gist of this article was that kids need to be reading by Kindergarten--umm oh boy. So I started thinking what exactly can my kids do? We pretty much have a casual atmosphere here at home and I don't really sit down and teach either of them anything. Boy was I surprised at what I found out--and of course I want to share all of Noah and Emma's accomplishments with you!
First off--if you think you are good at the game of Memory, try squaring off with Noah. We've known he has an amazing memory for a while. He can tell us memories of things when he was 18 months--like going to day care and what he did there.
We checked for his knowledge of colors and letters. Thank you magnetic fridge alphabet--at least my stepping on and picking up letters all the time wasn't in vain because he knows almost all his letters and all of his colors!
Numbers are a little bit harder for him--we count ALOT so I'm not sure what's going on. But he told us the time on the clock this weekend! He really likes 1, 2, 5, and 8. Go figure.
Name recognition was on the list to check--so I wrote out a list of names. Mama, Emma, Noah and Daddy. I asked him to tell me which was Noah. He proceeded to tell me Daddy was on the list, then showed me his name. AND told me that the first one was Mama and the next one was Emma---umm yeah time for shell shocked parents. We knew he knew his name--he spells in on the fridge all the time, but to know the others AWESOME!
We're joining in at the reading program at the library this winter and spring and he loves going to church, so I think we're good on social interaction. It's adults he clams up around, not kids. He can make friends with anyone!
He loves helping Jeff out with "man things." He knows every tool and can operate them all. He even has his own little set with interchangeable battery packs. He used his plastic saw to cut a branch off our tree this year--he was told he couldn't cut anything for real with his new tools. But his ability to use a drill for screws and hammer for nails means excellent hand eye coordination :)
Can you tell we're just a wee bit proud?
Now for our 1 year old ham. oh our Emma Claire. She is a bundle of energy and joy and personalities. You never know what she's going to be up to. She's finally putting weight on and up on the charts again! Actually both our kids are eating and eating and eating.
Emma knows all her animals and her body parts. She knew all her animal sounds but currently our cows, sheep, goat, horse and donkey all say baa.
She's funny and loves to do anything to get a laugh. She'll come up and "tck tck tck" you or cock her head sideways and smile, or fall over for the fun of it. Noah will start laughing at things that we don't want her doing and it's hard to scold her or him.
She signs all done and more and says Mama, Dada, Noah, Nana, hi, bye-bye and every now and then other things that sound like what she's pointing at. Nothing consistently that I can remember.
The first thing she does when she wakes up is look for Noah and yell for him even if he's asleep.
She's trying to use a fork and spoon and loves drinking from a regular cup although if we don't help her, it's time for a change of clothes. She's such a fun little thing and so full of energy. We're awfully proud of her too!
Currently Noah refuses to let me take pictures of him, so we have a surplus of EC pics. I'll try harder to catch him!
Love the pictures - love the updates.
ReplyDelete