This semester at school they have opened up Friday for free. Typically, students can purchase Friday classes for additional tuition and have an extra morning to work every week. I've been going in since being laid off to take care of projects and make back up some time. We had labor day and lost two days of classes due to going to the IMTS trade show earlier, so it was a good opportunity. I'm sitting in a very good place, so I took today to work on Adam and Andrea's dock legs. They had a bit of an issue with their dock sitting too low, so Adam conspired with me to make a bit of a lift kit for it. The original tubing for the dock is very expensive and oddly sized structural tubing. It's of no advantage to use it, I personally feel they do that to prevent people from economically making their own legs. Having access to a full machine shop allowed me to purchase much cheaper pipe (yup, pipe and tube are VERY different, about 5x more expensive for tube) that was thicker and machine it down to the size of the tubing. I took a second to snap a picture while one of the legs was in process.

I got all but two done, and will be able to finish up later next week or the following week since I'm on track to finish my class about a week early. My instructor has challenged me that if I can finish machining all my projects by next Tuesday, he'll buy me lunch. Classes are done October 21st. Once they are finished, we are going to head on down to Madison to deliver them and go on a trip to the Madison children's museum with the A-team.
Sweeeeeeet!!! Thanks for helping pimp our dock!
ReplyDeleteWe can't wait for your visit! : )